Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What's Up Family!!! July 30,2012

Hola Familia,
 
It was great to get your e-mail Mom. It sounds like Sea World was a blast and its Exciting that Derek is now Offical!!! I am sorry that Dad couldn´t make it down but hopefully in four years.
So I love it here in Parana! It is so different and it really helps me realize how blessed I am. The people here are very friendly but they are all Catholic and they don´t want to change because they feel like they would be going against their family.
We have one man that we are teaching whose name is Nelson and he really knows that the church is true but he can´t get himself to stop being catholic and his wife has basically told him if he gets baptized that she will leave him. Its really sad because he is so amazing and he loves the gospel but his wife is just being selfish. We are going to continue to work with him and I hope that he will be able to get baptized soon.
So now I am going to tell you about some of the interesting things that have happened this week. One day when we were contacting, we stopped by this man who was working on his car and we introduced ourselves and he went off on how we were really spies for the American Government and we really just take down everyones information and give it to the government. It was hilarious! My companion tried to convince him otherwise but he wouldn´t have it. He was nice enough but when we left he still thought we were spies but he did say that he would check out the church sometime.
So our pench is pretty run down and we have rented a new pench but we can´t move in for about a month because they found out that the land lady had been stealing the electrical power from the meat store near by and so they have to re-wire the entire pench. So I will have a bucket shower for about another month and then I will have a some what normal shower again.
Yesterday at church a lady who just got bapized 4 days before I got here, got a calling to be the Relief Society secretary. Her name is Maria and she is super sweet but she will talk your ear off. When we have lessons with her she literally talks none stop for 50 minutes, no joke! She has some interesting thoughts but she loves the gospel and she is way excited about her calling.
Also yesterday we went to Evangelical Church. One of our investigators invited us and it was super weird! They pray and sing a ton and they have a full band to play the music. At the begining they had something like a testimony meeting where people would come up praise God by singing or saying stuff. I can´t understand any way so it was really hilarious. All of the women wear veils and the men and women are separated. It was quite interesting and I know even more now how blessed we are to be in the true church.
So this week we talked to some JWs here we call them testigos. They gave us a pamphlet that all it talked about was evolution and science. It had nothing religious in it what so ever! I don´t understand them at all but that is okay.
So this will be an interesting story. So there is someone in our ward who we call crazy man. He actually used to be the ward mission leader until about 4 months ago. He is skitsophrenic(or however you spell it) and so he was fine when he would take is medicine but about 5 months ago he started to mix his meds with drugs and he just kind of went crazy. He kicked his mother and sister out of the house that his mother owns and he has come to church a few times and threatened people with a fire extinguisher and he punched the stake president one time too. Now this was all before I got here and this past week some other things happened. Since he kicked his Mom and Sister out they have basically been in hiding. They come to church but he has no idea where they live because he may do something to them. So this week on saturday he basically took everything that was in the house and threw it into the street and so we got a call from is mom asking us to come and help her gather everything together and keep it in our pench until she could pick it all up. So we helped her and we asked her where her son was and she said she had the police take him. But here is the kicker, the police here are literally men in capes. Eventhough crazy man has thrown his mother out of her home, threatened people, assaulted the stake president and some other police and he also sell and does drugs and on saturday night he was mad at what his mother did so he lite the house on fire, they can´t arrest him because he is a skitsophrenic and so not in his right mind, supposedly, which is ridiculous because he knows what he is doing. It is really sad that basically he has to kill someone for them to finally arrest him. But don´t worry because for some reason he likes us has always been nice when we talk to him. This is such a strange country. It blows my mind. I would maybe like to visit again but I would never want to live here. They have a very corrupt government and people just do what they want.
Anyway, on a happier note, I am having such an amazing experience here and I am learning a ton. Hna. Tourtillott is hiliarious and we are always laughing at something that happens everyday. I have really seen the power of the Holy Ghost since I have been here and I may not understand the language but the people here have very strong testimonies and I can feel their love and their desire to follow Jesus Christ. I am excited to see waht happens this week.
I hope everyone has a great week! Enjoy the warm weather because I am freezing right now! It is so strange to be freezing in July!
Oh and it sounds cheesy but count your blessings! There are so many things that they don´t have here or don´t do here that I miss so much, like pepper(they only have salt here), peanut butter, cinnamon, pudding, cookies, fresh produce, flushable toliets, warm water, carpet, couches, insulated walls steak seasoning(I miss that so much), and a bunch of other stuff. Argentina is has its own charm but I am excited to come home and just lay on our carpeted floor.
I love you all so much and I can´t wait to hear from you next week!
Lots of Love,
Alayna

No comments:

Post a Comment